Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a 14.5 HP OHV Craftsman Briggs and Stratten engine

Customer Question

I have a 14.5 HP OHV Craftsman Briggs and Stratten engine that is sucking gas into the engine and cutting off. I drained the oil and pulled the plug and turned it over and it spewed raw gas out. It then restarted but soon did the same. Just wondering if it is a sticking float or what might be the problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer, if your getting gas into the crankcase and it's mixing with the oil it's your carburetor, what is happening is the needle is not stopping the gas flow with the inlet valve , on most of these carburetors the inlet valve is brass and they wear over time so when the float closes the needle goes up in the inlet valve but gas still trickles past the needle over filling the bowl and getting in the crankcase mixing with the oil

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Do not try to start it until it is fixed , what needs to happen is the carburetor needs to be completely rebuilt meaning the pressed in inlet valve needs to be replaced along with the needle etc and then the oil changed

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

The true test is to remove the carburetor and flip it upside down and try to blow into the carburetor where the fuel line hooks up. You shouldn't be able to blow in it with the carb upside down meaning the float is cl9sedv