Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2010 Shuttle 6 Ez-go with a Curtis 1264-5407. The

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Shuttle 6 Ez-go with a Curtis 1264-5407 . The cart wont move, it will only move if I toggle the run->tow and then wait a couple of min and toggle it back to run. The cart will run for a few sec then the solenoid will dis-engage. I checked the ITS/foot pedal micro switch and they are good. All voltages goes to the controller are good. I get 5-5 flash on the LED on the controller indicating solenoid fault, however I can manually engage it with pulling off the controller wire and putting 48V on it and it test good. I am thinking its a controller issue at this point, any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Bypass the solenoid by putting both cables on the same terminal. If no change, replace the controller!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I kinda did that by energizing the solenoid with B+, then the controller would flash like the contacts were welded closed... Its just weird how I toggle the tow/run switch and it runs for a few sec then stops...Thats why I am thinking its not the solenoid but the controller.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It very well can be the controller, but I would jump the solenoid first!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I finally had a moment to fart with the cart and did what you said, however when i connected the battery terminal back up it ached real bad. Could not make a connections. See attached pictures.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With solenoid bypassed you have the big arc? What is on? You know you should have taken the negative terminal off before playing with cables!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

And just from the looks of it, the solenoid should be replaced!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The arch was on the battery term that I disconnected before moving around the wires on the solenoid. I just took off the first wire that was close to me to break the circuit but should not have seen an arch. Ill try a relay they are the least expensive thing first, just not sure why I can hook battery power to it and it works but not when the controller should be powering it. Unless the coil is weak.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

did you get my response?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i responded to you...The arch was on the battery term that I disconnected before moving around the wires on the solenoid. I just took off the first wire that was close to me to break the circuit but should not have seen an arch. Ill try a relay they are the least expensive thing first, just not sure why I can hook battery power to it and it works but not when the controller should be powering it. Unless the coil is weak.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, lets see how that works