Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a craftsmanrider with a kohler cv15-41567 engine that

Customer Question

I have a craftsman###-##-####rider with a kohler cv15-41567 engine that won't charge the battery. Both the battery and stator have been replaced. The trouble shooting part in service manual for Kohler talks about diode. Where is this diode located on rider and what is part# ***** order one?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is the output from the stator? The diode will be in the harness from the stator!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Were the magnets tight on the flywheel?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Stator puts out AC volts and changes to DC volts at the diode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black wire on stator showing 10.3v engine rpm 3400. With black wire still plugged in to harness it reads 5.65. Battery @3400 rpm 12.35. Magnets tight on flywheel. Checked with customer and he said this has been a problem since day 1, 1999. Sears replaced stator and battery. Did not fix problem. They finally refused to help saying customer screwed up. Customer replaced stator. Did not fix problem. I replaced stator and battery. Stator had one of the lobes bent and the plastic insulation was cracked in 2 places. Battery was shot. Still did not fix problem. Stator part# *****(###) ###-####.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

12 085 08-S is right stator,

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What do the two wires from stator show when unplugged from everything?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Meter on AC volts, and one meter lead on each wire.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

magnets and coil is all that makes the volts.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Has flywheel ever been replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not to my knowledge. I can't imagine 1 original and 3 replacement stators being bad. I'll pull flywheel again and really eyeball it this time. I won't be able to get back to you for a couple of days. Going to Tacoma from MT. I'll get another fly wheel ordered.
Also there are 3 wires, black, yellow and green. The 3rd wire, green, is for a brake?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I think the flywheel magnets are loose! You said lobe was bent on stator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know.