Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My craftsman 7 speed, shift-on the -go has a mind of its

Customer Question

my craftsman 7 speed, shift-on the -go has a mind of its own. running in #1 switched to #7 on its own. I turned it off, checked the linkage and tried again with the same result. I finished the yard riding the clutch. during that time I moved the speed
lever up and down - even put it in park but it still ran on #7 even in the park position. What happened & what can I do to fix it?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The speeds are controlled by the lever moving a variable pulley. Your pulley is in need of a grease job!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Try to oil the top of the pulley and the bearing, and the shaft where the bearings are located.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Pulley has to be free to let the lever do it's job!