Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have an ultra source 12500 that as soon as I start it, it

Customer Question

Hi I have an ultra source 12500 that as soon as I start it, it revs real high and shuts down i've checked the oil level and its good. Any suggestions would be great
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hank,
Sorry for the delay. the item# ***** serial# ***** listed below.
Item #:(###) ###-####Serial #:(###) ###-####
Thanks in advance
Chris
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

How long has this unit been sitting since it was run regularly?

Has there been any work done to it recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I try to run it a month. No work has been done in the last 9 months. Is there a way to read the oil pressure switch? If so, is it normally open or normally closed?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

The oil pressure switch is normally open, but it is not your problem.

The oil switch does not cause an engine to over speed - it just causes it to shut down.

Over speed is usually caused by a lean running condition - too little fuel or too much air.

But on your unit, there are a couple of other things that it can be.

The first thing you need to do is to get a voltage and frequency reading - manipulating the throttle to try and keep it running for a few seconds.

What voltage and frequency reading do you get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I do the requested tests from on of the outlets on the panel?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is the best place to test at.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the voltage and frequency readings yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
117v 55hz tested with a fluke 83 - III
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

If it is only running at 55 Hz, it is not over speeding - it is not running fast enough.

Try this for me.

Remove the air filter.

While cranking the engine, start spraying in some carb cleaner (do not use starting fluid).

Can you keep the engine running with carb cleaner?

If so, you have a bad carburetor.

As gas gets old, it turns to varnish and clogs up the passageways inside the carburetor, not allowing enough gas to get to the engine.

This condition is cumulative. Every time gas sits, the varnish builds up just a little more, like coats of paint, until eventually gas can not flow. It will not happen overnight, but the symptoms can show up all of a sudden, even while simply stopping to refill with gas.

The use of fuel additives, such as Sta-Bil or Sea Foam will not stop this process from happening. They will greatly slow it down, but the gas will still go bad.

When this happens, either the engine simply will not start, or it will not run without the choke on (this reduces the amount of air getting pulled into the engine, changing the fuel/air mixture), or it will run but surges.

Another issue that varnish in the carb can cause is that the varnish may not allow the float needle to seal properly against the seat, causing the flow of gas to not shut off when the bowl is full. The result will be gas overflowing the carb and running into the cylinder, and possibly out the air intake. If the gas gets into the cylinder, it will seep past the rings and down into the crankcase. This will be evidenced by your oil level being over-full and/or the oil smelling like gas.

If this is the case, you will need to change the oil and filter, if it has a filter.

The only 2 solutions are to either replace the carburetor or give it a good, thorough cleaning.

When removing the carb, make sure to take a good picture, or make a good drawing of where all springs and linkages are attached. This will make reassembly much easier.

Most people believe that cleaning a carb involves removing the bowl and wiping it out, then spraying some carb cleaner through it.

This is simply insufficient. It takes months or years for this accumulation to build up – it just can not be removed in minutes.

To properly clean the carb, you must remove it, disassemble it (making sure to remove all non-metal parts), and soak it in a commercial solvent for several hours. Soaking it overnight is even better.

Then clean all solvent off with a spray type carb cleaner, making sure to get lots of cleaner into every hole and passage there is. Pay special attention to the tiny holes in the bore of the carb, under the throttle plate for the carbs that have these holes. Use lots of cleaner. And make sure to wear safety goggles to avoid getting the over spray into your eyes. There will be over spray.

Dry the carb with low pressure compressed air.

This is an EPA compliant carburetor, and as such, is not supposed to be taken apart or adjusted.

When you have an issue with it, you are supposed to replace the entire carb.

But, sometimes it is possible to clean them. Just remember, that as an EPA compliant carb, there are no parts available for it, so if you lose or break anything, you will definitely need to get a new one.

Often, even a good cleaning is not going to be sufficient, and you may end up having to replace the carb anyhow. Be prepared for this.

Personally, I do not recommend trying to clean this carb. I recommend replacement.

If for some odd reason this does not help, please let me know so I can assist you further.

.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?