JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a kohloe 15 hp, model CV15S & it won't start up. I

Customer Question

I have a kohloe 15 hp, model CV15S & it won't start up. I get a click only. Just before this happened I did have alittle trouble starting my lawn tractor mower, it took 2 attempts & several cranks before starting. From studying my operators manual, I think it's either the stater or a solenoid, but I don't know how to test & determine which needs replacing, or if I'm correct about the cause! I need help, please. Dave
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like your starter solenoid has gone bad. This will cause a click at the solenoid but no power passes through it to the starter in order to crank the engine. When this first happens you can sometimes get it to work if you just keep hitting the key several times it may finally engage but as the problem goes along it will only get worse until it will finally quit working completely. I would recommend replacing the starter solenoid. If you would like to check my theory you can check for voltage at the starter post when you try to start the machine. If you get no voltage but still hear the click then the solenoid is bad it is not passing voltage through it to the starter as it should. If you are getting voltage to the starter post and the engine still isn't cranking then the starter is bad.