Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I purchased a12v dc Single acting power unit and I want to

Customer Question

I purchased a12v dc Single acting power unit and I want to install it using 2 hydralic rams that woud be usede to lift logs on to my sawmill bed . The problem I have is I can get the pump to extend the rams but not close the rams. Does this single acting pump only act in one direction ? or is there some thing wrong in the electical wiring or do buy a DOC 3 valve connecting to remote valves can I modify the unit HELP Roy x-xxx xxx xxxx
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

For a double acting cylinder, you have to have a doubel ported control valve, that sends pressure to one port while the other returns.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The pump can not be reversed, the way to get the cylinder to power both ways is the control valve.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Pressure from pump has to be routed to the valve and then returned to reservoir.