JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a toro timecutter z5000 Kohler, was gettin ready to

Customer Question

I have a toro timecutter z5000 Kohler, was gettin ready to mow the other day and as soon as I cut the blades on the seat broke. Well immediately after that the mower made a grinding sound and now makes that sound every time I go to crank it
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you tell me if the seat came into contact with the engine housing when it broke? I am going to guess that it did and you have bent something over into another part that is now rubbing. The most likely thing would be the flywheel screen on top of the engine or the blower housing was bent back into the flywheel. I would take a good look at that stuff for starters.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No checked that, it sounds lower in the motor almost like a gear trying to engage or disengage where the pulley connects to the bottom of the motor
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So the noise is coming from under the frame of the machine? It just started doing this after the seat broke? It does it as soon as you start cranking the engine? I would check the idler pulley on the hydro belt, that is really the only thing that might be turning under the frame when cranking that might make a noise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks will check that
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.