JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Was reading your previous answer to a question regarding a

Customer Question

Was reading your previous answer to a question regarding a Mantis 2 stroke tiller engine issue. From what I gather it appears a carburetor rebuild is in my future. Engine starts briefly but only runs for a second or two. What does the check valve do and is there a specific position it should be in outside the fuel tank?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The check valve allows air to be pulled into the fuel tank but will not allow fuel to come out of the tank. It is in place in order to keep from developing a vacuum inside the fuel tank which would cause you to no longer be able to pull fuel from the tank to the carburetor. There is no specific position for the check valve other than it needs to be outside of the tank and in a position that it does not get hit or knock off easily.