JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

6 HP Tecumseh on a Murray Go Cart! Carb is perfect, cleaned,

Customer Question

6 HP Tecumseh on a Murray Go Cart! Carb is perfect, cleaned, inspected, all seems good. Engine runs great, smooth transition, good idle, good top end. Problem is once the engine gets cooled down, you can not start without spraying a little gasoline in the carb intake. It has a "choke" style carb, that is typical with Tecumseh, but choke does not work.
Every "new" startup requires a little gasoline sprayed into the carb. Once it is up to running temp, it runs great, and starts on the first pull.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you tried changing the fuel that you are using? This sounds like the engine is not getting enough fuel to start when cold. According to your information I believe it is a fuel quality issue that is causing your problem. Even with the choke your engine can't get enough of this poor quality fuel to run when cold. This would be the first thing that I would do. I would first upgrade to premium fuel, 92 or 93 octane or higher, it has less additives therefore it will perform better. If your current fuel has a high percentage of ethanol this would also cause your problem, it takes more of this poor quality fuel at cold for the engine to run, once the engine is warm or hot you may not notice a problem.