JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a JD LT155 lawn tractor and am having problems with

Customer Question

I have a JD LT155 lawn tractor and am having problems with the engine turning over after the ignition key has been turned off. Engine does not fire, just keeps turning over 15-20 seconds. Also machine will just quit unexspectantly. I have replaced the ignition switch.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Is the starter still engaged causing the engine to continue to turn over? It sounds like the starter solenoid may be sticking and not disengaging right away when you release the ignition key. The issue with the machine stopping could be fuel related. How long does it normally run prior to stopping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter is still engaged and engine is turning over but not firing after key is even removed. Ignition was replaced with same results. Runs sometimes up to 30 seconds before stopping.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It does sound like the starter solenoid may be sticking causing the engine to continue to crank over longer than what it should.

Are you getting spark to the plug? If you remove the air filter and spray carburetor cleaner directly into the throat of the carburetor will the engine start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the starter solenoid still be engaged with the ignition off?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Normally no, but if the contacts internally are sticking then yes it could still throw voltage or power to the starter and the starter would still be spinning to start the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll pick up a starter solenoid today and put in. I'll see if this works.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That would explain the starter continue to spin but would not cause the engine to not get spark or start. You have other issues that is causing the engine to not start, I would find and fix that problem prior to replacing the solenoid. I wouldn't want to damage a new solenoid by trying to start an engine with issues. If the engine was starting okay and running then I would say differently but I think I would focus on why it is not starting first then move to the solenoid issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will start initially and work fine for an hour or so. then it will stop and when I try to restart it will just turn over not firing. Fuel pump or filter?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the ignition coil is not firing once it gets warm or hot. Have you checked for spark when the engine dies? If not I would do so to see if you are loosing spark once the coil gets hot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.