JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My lx255 runs good as it has years. now when I shut it off

Customer Question

my lx255 runs good as it has for 15 years. now when I shut it off and try to restart it 5 minutes later I have no spark. she will crank and crank and nothing. wait about 30 minutes and she fires right up like nothing is wrong. replaced the coil and plug and same issue
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This sounds like you have a heat issue. Once you shut the engine down it will build more heat in the engine area due to no air flow, this could be heat soaking the ignition and causing it to quit firing even with a new coil. Once it has a chance to cool back down a little it will go ahead and work again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why now after 15 years? All is clean under the hood
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The engine may be struggling to run under a load when mowing which would cause more heat. Does the engine still seems to start easy? Does it still have good power when running? You have had the blower housing off of the engine in order to replace the ignition coil, was it clean under there? No grass build up or trash in the cylinder fins.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Starts easy. Runs great. Good power. No buildup. I'm baffled
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Have you noticed the engine being any louder than normal when running? Maybe an exhaust leak causing for more heat in the engine compartment.

The engine runs good until you shut it off, right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All in normal till I shut it off. Wait about 30 to 40 minutes and it fires right up no problem
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

There has to be some reason that you are building up heat more than normal or before. When you shut the engine off it will build up heat around the engine for the first several minutes due to no air flow then it will actually start cooling back down. I believe that this heat is the reason that you can't get restarted until it has a chance to cool back down again. See what happens if you remove the hood from the machine and mow with it, shut it off and try to restart it again immediately. You could have a head gasket partially blown but I would think that you would notice a slight power loss if that was the case.