Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I literally JUST got home from sinking $900 into my 3yr old

Customer Question

Hi, I literally JUST got home from sinking $900 into my 3yr old Craftsman YT3000 with a blown motor. Anyway, my lawn is a hay field right now and I hit some lawn fabric which got sucked into the blades. I shut the unit down immediately and pulled the lawn fabric out. Now when I start it the transmission does nothing. I tried engaging and disengaging the pin in the back a few times but to no avail. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Check, to see if your transmission drive belt has slipped off of one of your pulleys. Also, check to see if your drive belt is tight, when your brake pedal is fully released. We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The belt is tight. I can see it through the back.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for checking. It is very rare for a transmission to go bad suddenly, without a warning. You may need to remove your deck, in order to get a better view of the underside of your mower. Although your belt appear to be tight at the back, we need to confirm whether it is actually tight on all of your pulleys. Also, double check, to make sure your engaging pin is still attached to your transmission bypass lever, and is actually moving your bypass lever.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Check for a build up of debris on your transmission, that could be preventing your transmission control arm from fully shifting into forward and reverse positions. Let's make sure the rod is still attached to your control arm.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!