Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have just purchased a cub cadet volunteer. I drove it

Customer Question

I have just purchased a cub cadet volunteer. I drove it around the block and home about two miles and every thing worked fine. When I was getting ready to load it on my trailer it started to do strange things. It would not go into gear or was very hard to take out of gear.This was intermitent . Another thing it would do is when I would stop it would speed up and drag me forward or backward. One final thing is that it does not move forward or backward until the engine is at a pretty high rpm. maybe 1000 then it jumps. I took it in to a cub dealer they gave it a tune up and suposidley adjusted every thing. It worked fine until I got it home then it started to act just like before. I called the owner of the dealer ship and he said that was the nature of the machine. I don't believe that pulling with both hands and pushing with your foot to get it in gear is correct.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What you describe is usually caused by the engine idle being too high. Making transmission hard to shift and drags when you try to slow down.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Try lowering the engine idle speed. This won't help the slow to move in forward or reverse. Could the brakes be dragging? Test by seeing if it will coast in neutral.