Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I have recycler 22elect start. I was cutting everything fine

Customer Question

I have recycler 22elect start. I was cutting everything fine an it just shut off, it will crank but not start. I checked 40amp fuse it's fine belts are not broken . Can't figure out what woul be next to look for
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did you check or replace the plug ? Sometimes a piece of carbon can get lodged in the tip and prevent it from firing. Did you add more fuel just before it quit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced plug put new air filter on took round brush to plug wire still will not start put it does pop pop pop now where it did not do that earlier
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel is fresh that has never been a problem
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Remove the air filter to check the choke. The butterfly should move back and forth freely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Butterfly is fine however I did notice that when I pull the drive bar back an pull the other bar back to hit the starter, where that cable attaches to the engine just bows up an the plate it's attached to does not move it seems frozen. I hope I'm making that clear cause when that stop bare is pulled it doesn't move
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Lube the cable and the point where it connects o make sure they move freely. The cable pulls a lever which opens a switch. Are there any kinks in that cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled off top cover the switch connected to spring moves good I sprayed it all with wd40 is it possible the switch is bad it still just cranks an pop pop pop
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Check for spark, put a plug in th wire and ground it. Have someone squeeze the handle and crank it over while you watch the plug for a spark

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a arch on the plug when I crank it
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

If you squirt carb cleaner directly into the carb will it run and quit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have any my friend will have to try that tomorrow To try that if starting spray or carb cleaner if it starts an stops is it most likely the card? Cause the plug when I pulled it was wet earlier
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

If the plug was wet the engine could be flooded. Hold the choke open and see if it will start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you ended up buying anew one
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

ok