Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Snapper 331416KVe rear engine riding mower with 14

Customer Question

I have a Snapper 331416KVe rear engine riding mower with 14 HP Kohler engine. Upon replacing a run down battery with a new one, I noticed a strong spark when I reconnected the negative battery lead. I checked between the lead with two ohm meters. A 1.5v ohm meter from Harbor Freight gave an open circuit, but a 9.5v ohm meter from Radio Shack gave a closed circuit. I retested several times and got the same result. Any suggestions? I also checked the blue wire running from the alternator rotor and got the same results with the two ohm meters.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Is your engine, a Kohler or Briggs & Stratton brand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kohler 14 HP CV14ST
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. I will pull your wiring schematics.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would like to confirm something. Have you already disconnected your Blue alternator wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged the connector harness that connects to the engine alternator and checked the blue wire going to the alternator. The Harbor Freight ohm meter showed an open circuit but the 9V Radio Shack showed an open circuit. I got the same result when I reconnected the alternator plug and put the ohm meters across the red and black battery cables
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you leave the connector unplugged, do you still get a spark when you connect your negative cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried that, but the circuit was open with both ohm meters between the red and black battery cable with the plug disconnected
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Can you give this a try? This will tell us if your alternator is at fault.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me go and retry with the connector disconnected just to confirm my last answer, it will take just a minute
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! Take your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the connector disconnected, both ohm meters show an open circuit between the red and black battery cables, when the connector is connected, both meters are showing a closed circuit. The Harbor Freight reads about 80 ohms, and the Radio Shack less (I can't zero my Radio Shack meter so the ohm reading may not be accurate) but when connected to the alternator, both show a closed circuit to some extent (80Ohm rather than infinity). Is this normal or does this indicate a problem with my alternator
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

It could indicate your alternator is at fault. You stated that you get a strong spark when you attempt to connect your negative battery cable. Do you still get a strong spark, if you try with your alternator disconnected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me give that a try, it will just take a minute
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Okay ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no problem disconnected, but when connected, definitely a spark and it seems to be drawing a fair amount of current, I didn't leave it connected for longer than a second or two
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for checking. This indicates that your alternator is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess one question I have is what is the normal resistance between the black and red battery cables, I assumed it should be an open circuit or otherwise the battery would drain down upon sitting. Unfortunately, the alternator is beneath the engine rotor and seems hard to get to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any suggestions on getting to the alternator and how to replace it
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your alternator is under your flywheel. You will have to remove your flywheel in order to get to your alternator.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You will also need a flywheel puller to remove your flywheel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the procedure for removing the flywheel, I've got the cover off the motor and can see the flywheel but not sure how to take the flywheel off. I've looked in the Kohler service manual and see another about replacing the alternator
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There should be a bolt in the center of your flywheel. This bolt loosens counterclockwise.