Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have the same problem. A contractor left the generator out

Customer Question

I have the same problem. A contractor left the generator out in a downpour next to a small cabin with significant splash up on the generator end. Starts fine but no juice. Working perfectly before rain
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

If there is any moisture inside the generator at all, there is a good chance that it won't work.

The generator needs to be air dried, preferably in a moving air environment, for at least a week to ensure that any moisture trapped in the stator is evaporated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hank, thanks- I figured it had something to do with moisture... Would simply running the generator (engine) help with moving air? There is a fan housing on the electrical end of the unit; feels like it is moving air. There was some discussion about the value of an answer. I'd be willing to add $30 to the original. James Blair.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Running the genset is a crap shoot.

It will move more air, but if moisture is in the wrong places, it can actually end up doing more damage.

Remember, electricity follows the path of least resistance - and a wet area is far less resistance than a piece of wire. If there is even the slightest short anywhere, it could easily lead to burning that component.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hank, yah, thanks... Have talked w John Deere - appears that there is little to be done; even after drying it out it still does not produce juice. Will need a new one. Nevertheless - appreciate your help.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Bull puckey.

John Deere was feeding you a line.

Depending on the model number of your unit, the problem may be as simple as a bad capacitor or voltage regulator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you think it would be worth my time to take it to John Deere? I can haul it over there - if it was a simple fix, it would be cheaper than a new generator.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

If they told you it would not be worth fixing without even seeing it, I would be inclined to take it somewhere else, or test it yourself. There is no telling what they would come up with if you took it to them.

Any small engine shop that works on generators should be able to check it out for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The general people here in Nashville have agreed to take a look at it. More soon - thanks Hank. JLB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That should be Generac
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

I'd like to know how you got hold of a Generac shop at 10PM.....

But they should be able to get to the bottom of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I texted them and they provided a generic response to the effect that they could "evaluate any system". I talked with them today on the phone and was told that they would come to me but I would need to talk with the office on Monday. So that's what I'm gonna do. JLB
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Hank. I'll let you know what they find.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

OK