Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a mtd mower with Kohler engine. Everything was

Customer Question

I have a mtd mower with Kohler engine. Everything was wroking fine. When I finished mowing, i let engine cool down. I took hose with sprayer set on fine mist, and washed dust off engine. NOT power washes just washed dust off case. Now engine wont crank. Battery has 12 v. When I disconnect battery and reconnect, I hear clicking noise in front of engine.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a 20 amp fuse which is ok; checked with meter. This is a no crank situation.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer, will the mower start by using the pull cord ? I'm asking this because it will tell us if this is a starter and electrical issue only and if the motor is free

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motor is 28 hp kohler. It does not a pull cord.
I mowed my yard and nothing was unuausal. I parked mower in shade to let it cool off. After cooling, I used a hose with nosle to clean all debris off 54 inch mow deck. Next, I changed flow from nosle to light to rinse dust off of engine and inside of case.
The mower never started again. Will not crank. The headlights would come on while I was checking it. I unplugged wiring connectors and cleaned them out to make sure no water was in them. I let mower sit in sunlight 4 hours to dry any hidden water. Disconnected battery. reconnected battery. when I touched the terminals to battery, I cold hear a clicking sound in front of engine. Tried to check large red wire to starter with multimeter. did not get a reading but I was also holding several things at a time and trying to engage switch. Have checked 20 amp fuse; it is ok. After all that, now the headlights do not light. (they were working before I did all the following steps). Note: when i first tried to crank motor, i did hear a slight crackling sound. Dont know where it came from.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

OK , a single click would indicate the starter solenoid but your hearing crackling right ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Usually when you have no lights or anything that 20 amp fuse is bad but it is still good since you lost the headlights as well right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The click is NOT the selnoid trying to engage. Motor is dead. When connecting the battery there is some type of sound made when current gets to something. The battery is in back of mower and it soulds like the click is in front of engine.
The crackling noise happened when I first tried to crank motor.
I check to fuse several times; it has continuity
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after the crackling noise (less than one second) I starter the trouble shooting. The headlights were working at that time.
When finished with trouble shooting, the lights were not working. I checked the fuse with multimeter several times. It tested good. I should probably test it again but the machine is 30 miles from my current location. It is located at my weekend place. I do not have ready access to it while we are talking.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

The fuse is the 20 amp yellow blade fuse right

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the one.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

OK , that was the one I was referring to as well . We need to see where the power is stopping because this now isn't just a engine issue it's a wiring issue for the lights and engine . Check the ignition to make sure it's getting power .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ignition switch is located on a wall in front of dirver. On the other side of the wall is back of switch which is covered by gas container.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Yes we need to see if it's putting power out to the lights and starter , being you have neither I am wondering if it fried your ignition switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know. I dont think it would have even gotten wet because it is located behand the gas tank. I will have to check it out this weekend. How do I connect with you next week?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

You can reply back to this conversation and I'll get notified of the reply . Something may have shorted and the crackling you heard was it burning up the ignition. Etc , check your ground on the battery and to the frame etc .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Will message you next week.
KE
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

OK have a good weekend