JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My older Craftsman DGT 6500 (27 hp Kohler engine) garden

Customer Question

Hello my older Craftsman DGT 6500 (27 hp Kohler engine) garden tractor once fully warmed up develops an intermittent miss during full speed operation under load (mowing) I can smell fuel during the missing possibly from loss of ignition? Miss is intermittent seems to come and go. Oil Filters, plugs changed every year approx 500 hours on engine. Please advise Thanks Chuck
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It does sound like you have a loss of spark to one cylinder. I would check for spark at both plugs when you are having this issue to identify which side the problem is on. I normally would replace both ignition coils in this circumstance because you have created extra stress on the good one while running in this condition. It is really only the matter of the extra cost of the second coil because you are already right there to replace the one. It is much easier to do both than it is to have to tear everything apart again to replace the second on later on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks John!You confirmed my suspicions that it may be a bad coil.New coils and plug wires are on order.
Best Regards *****
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John Freeman provided me with a quick and confirming reply to the problem experienced with my Garden Tractor.
Thank you again.Regards
Chuck Nauman
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

In order to provide a rating there is a place right above your comment box to give us a star rating.