JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 10' MX10 Deer Mower that is about five years old.

Customer Question

I have a 10' MX10 John Deer Mower that is about five years old. The right (standing behind) gear box will not keep oil and this season I put J.D. grease in it to get me by and the grease holds only for about three hours. Note: I never have seen oil or grease on the ground nor have I determined where it is coming from.
Questions:
1) Is this a big job to tackle myself or should I take it to a expert technician.
2) Where do I start
3) Could it be a problem other than the seal.
4) If I can make repairs myself and it's the seal: Is the shaft in sections or one piece and does it have to completely come off.
5) Where exactly is the seal located and helpful suggestions on repairs.
Thank you very much for your site and expertise.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It definitely sounds like you have seals leaking in that gear box. It is not an extremely difficult job to replace the seals, you can most likely do it without removing the gear box from the deck. The drive shaft looks like it has a quick release collar on it that if you pull the outer collar back(it is spring loaded) it will allow the shaft to be slipped off of the input shaft on the gear box. This should give you access to the seal that is located there. There is a second seal just above the mower blade, you will need to remove the blade and a couple of washer to get access to that seal.