Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 12 HP Briggs I/C vertical lawn tractor engine that

Customer Question

I have a 12 HP Briggs I/C vertical lawn tractor engine that wouldn't start. Replaced the coil and it starts but won't rap up firing every fourth time. The flywheel pin looks straight and correct. The valves have blow back through the carburator though. What can I do to fix it.
It was a replaced engine originally had a 24 HP Twin and the seller swapped for this old 12 HP Briggs and kept the 24 HP twin. It has ran for the last two years since I got it used on the classifieds. Junk?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Have you checked your valve clearances? The backfiring through your carburetor, is very likely caused by either your valves not properly seating, or because your valve clearances need to be properly set.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Before junking your engine, I would consider doing a valve job.