Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

My Briggs Intek OHV 3317772372G5 would not start right. I

Customer Question

My Briggs Intek OHV(###) ###-####5 would not start right. I took it to a Ariens dealer. It is a Ariens lawn mower. The mech said it was the valves. They called after looking at it. Said it was the camshaft. Said the engine would be warranteed for 90 days. I got it home, my yard is big. I filled the gas and checked the oil. It was a half a quart low. They changed the oil, but not the oil filter. The plug is fouled. It appears to be a head gasket. A friend of mine says there is a relief spring on the camshaft. It has to be working or it could be the reason the head gasket blew. IS HE RIGHT and it is a possibility. They won't fix it because they now say they only warrantee the camshaft install.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

The compression could of blew the head gasket prior to the most fixing the cam , my question is why didn't they test it ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Does the fold plug smell like oil only or have any or odor of gas

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Fouled plug

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried removing the plug and turn it over a few times to blow the cylinder out then put the clean plug back in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plug gunks up with oil. It never burned oil before, I believe it faintly smells like gas. The oil is dirty on the sti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want a membership, I just want the answer to my problem. I want it in writing
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

OK , customer service can help you with membership questions etc , we just help with the issues in the catagory we work in . If it smells like gas your problem is the carburetor, it happens frequently with carburetors with brass inlet valves. The brass wears and the needle doesn't stop the gas flow so gas gets on the crankcase and mixes with the oil, this would make the oil thin enough to get past the rings , valves and get on the plug

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

That's if the oil smells like gasoline or is thin and not thick like oil usually is