JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 16 hp briggs and stratten v twin I have no spark,i

Customer Question

I have a 16 hp briggs and stratten v twin I have no spark,i put a new coil,cleaned fly wheel,disconected all wires except starter,i have strong magnet pull,now im ready to pull out what hair I have left ,any help with this matter????
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

You mentioned that you put a new coil on. Did you replace just one or both? What happens if you leave the small ground wire disconnected from the coil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT only has one coil ,no points or condenser,And all wires are disconnected,including grounds
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You have indicated that it is a v twin, the v twin will have two coils one feeding each cylinder.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If looking at the coil where is the ground wire located as you have the coil mounted? Is it to the bottom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im sorry John I will give you more info the model#402707, type 01301, code 81102012
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John the replacement coil is P/n 590781
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this is a twin cylinder but is not the v twin.

Make sure that you have the ground spade terminal to the bottom of the coil when it is mounted. If the coil is mounted upside down it will not work.

Leave the ground wire unhooked from the spade terminal on the coil and see if it will fire of spark then. If it does then the coil is fine there is a short in the wiring or it is grounded out somewhere backwards in the wiring that is keeping the coil from firing.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I have seen several of these new coils be bad right out of the box. It is possible that you have a bad one.

Just make sure that it is mounted correctly(not upside down), eliminate the wiring as a possible problem by leaving it unhooked and checking for spark.

If it is mounted correctly and still won't fire or spark with the ground wire unhooked then you have a bad coil and would need to have it exchanged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John I had the coil upsides down,new style coil.it started and ran for a couple mins then died same thing it did before I replaced coil ,I have 70 psi in both cyls I think this is low?? could this make it die??
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Is it still firing to the plug? Can you pull the choke out a little and keep it running?

70 psi is a little low, it could cause it to die. I would be checking valves clearances.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check valve clearance what should it be??
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Intake should be .006 inches and exhaust should be .010 inches with the engine cold.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check and get back to you,Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

No problem, just let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John it will take me awhile to do this I will get back to you on thurs if that's ok?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That is fine, just come back here and continue our conversation. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John I didnt get the valves done yet I should be done fri I might need more help
thanks Doug
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Just let me know if you still need further assistance.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John I am still working on valves hope to talk about it today
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find.