JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Thanks my message this morning. I have a briggs 17hp on my

Customer Question

Hi James, thanks for taking my message this morning. I have a briggs 17hp on my Husq riding lawnmower and the thing just won't start. Changed plugs- gets spark, fires up with starter fluid- dies immediately. Doesn't appear to be clogged hose- inline fuel filter fills up at least halfway with gas. Only thing I can think of we did different was change gas from the lowest octane (87) unleaded to the gas suggested for classic cars and boats- could that make a difference or are we looking at a fuel pump or carb issue?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This sounds like you have either a fuel pump not working or a carburetor jet that is stopped up not allowing fuel through it, it could also be the fuel solenoid on the carburetor if it has one. If you remove the bowl from the bottom of the carburetor you can check to see if you are getting fuel there, watch as you are removing the bowl to see if fuel runs out as you loosen the nut or solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks John, I'll check that out this evening- appreciate the help
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't had a chance to check the carb yet- I did remove the hose that goes from the fuel pump to the carb and turned over the ignition, there is definitely gas moving through.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Once you can check the carburetor let me know what you find.