Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Toro Model 20333 22in Recylcler lawn mower with a

Customer Question

I have a Toro Model 20333 22in Recylcler lawn mower with a Briggs and Stratton Model 128T02 Quantum engine, Type 3256-B1, Code 11021759. The mower was purchased new in late March, 2012. It has been used since then for residential lawn mowing, always in the mulching or re-cycling mode. Estimated engine operation time is 350 to 400 hours. This mower does not have a manual throttle, but has a governor that increases the engine speed when the blade is engaged or when heavier grass is encountered.
In the last few weeks, I have experienced problems cutting the lawn. Sometimes, after operating for about 15 minutes, the engine does not speed up when it is cutting a particularly thick patch of grass. Backing up and pushing the mower over the same patch a second time or pushing the mower very slowly, will cut the grass satisfactorily. If these don't work, disengaging and re-engaging the blade may cause the engine / blade speed to increase. If none of the actions brings the engine to a speed sufficient to properly mulch the grass, the engine must be shut off and allowed to cool for about ten minutes. After re-starting, the engine/ blade will rotate fast enough to mulch the grass again, sometimes for fifteen minutes or even longer.
Also, when the engine has been running a while and is hot, it is very difficult to immediately re-start if it is shut off. The engine must cool down a few minutes in order to start. Otherwise, when cold, it starts on the first or second pull of the recoil cord.
Any ideas on what is causing these problems and how to correct them?
Thanks,
Mark
**************
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mark. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried a new spark plug? Have you checked your air filter?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!