Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Sear PYT 9000 riding mower, Serial # 247.289800.

Customer Question

I have a Sear PYT 9000 riding mower, Serial ####-##-#### After 10 minutes of mowing the mower stops moving forward, especially up hills. If the mower is allowed to sit idle for 30 minutes, when it is restarted the mower is able to drive up hill again or parallel to the hill for another 10 minutes.
I replaced the Drive Belt, but the above symptoms continue. What might be the cause?
1. PTO electric Clutch? 2. Drive belt not threaded properly? 3. Transmission? 4. Other causes?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. How old is your mower?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If your mower will pull up hills for 10 minutes, but fails after 10 minutes of use, it is very likely that you have some internal problems with your transmission.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Check to see if you have any obvious oil leaks on your transmission.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Make sure that the bypass lever on your transmission is fully releasing. If your oil is contaminated, or if your oil level is low, this can cause our problem. If your transmission pulley, or the pulley that bolts to the bottom of your engine, is worn, this can cause your drive belt to slip, although your belt is new.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would inspect the inner running surfaces on your transmission pulley, and your engine pulley, for wear. If these pulleys are worn, your belt will run deeper into these pulleys, causing a looser fit.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!