JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Need help.....my generac model # 5681 leaked gas on the

Customer Question

need help.....my generac model # ***** leaked gas on the garage floor last night apparently through the air filter.....what should I do ???
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The only reason that it would do that is if the float valve stuck or has a piece of trash on the tip of it that is keeping it from sealing. You will need to remove the carburetor and check the float valve to see if it is sticking open or has trash on the tip that is keeping it from sealing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this safe to use ???.....how do I remove and clean ?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I would be concerned that you may have fuel in the crankcase, if not then you could run the machine as long as it is not leaking so badly that it affects the running of the machine. I would recommend that you remove the carburetor to check and clean float valve in order to fix the fuel leak problem.

You would need to remove the air filter assembly, then the carburetor, remove the bowl from the bottom of the carburetor and this will give you access to the float and float valve, remove the float and you have instant access to the float valve.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John.......how do I remove the carburetor .... and bowl from bottom of carburetor ?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

In order to remove the carburetor you will need to remove the air filter and air filter housing. Once that is removed the carburetor will slide off of the mounting studs, you will have to unhook the governor linkage and fuel line. Once the carburetor is removed then you can take the bowl off of the carburetor by removing the nut that is located in the bottom center of the bowl.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.