JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Turf Tiger is still blowing fuses after changing out the PTO

Customer Question

Scag Turf Tiger is still blowing fuses after changing out the PTO clutch. Fuse holders are getting really hot and draining the battery as well. Amp gage is pegged until the fuse blows. Had it at my dealer yesterday, and they could not find the problem. The dealers tech checked the voltage regulator and the battery and they both tested OK.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

I would be looking for a wire that is shorted or grounded out. That is about the only thing that would cause you to drain the battery and the wiring to get hot and blow fuses. Does it do all of this with the key in the off position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, only when the engine is running the amp meter is pegged out, and when you start the deck, the amp meter drops for a moment, then the fuses get hot. I suppose the battery is being drained as it is running.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Were you having this problem prior to replacing the electric clutch? Why did you replace the clutch? I am still concerned that you have a wire most likely going to the electric clutch that has a short in it which is causing your problem. If not then the new clutch has a problem internally which is causing it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was having this problem before replacing the clutch. I took a ohm meter and put it to the old clutch, and got a 0.00 reading. I took old clutch to dealer and had them confirm it was bad before I bought the new. Replaced it with new and am still having the problem.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Does it do the same thing if you unplug the connector going to the electric clutch and turn the pto switch on?