Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

We have A Cub Cadet 1554. We ran over a stick and had to

Customer Question

We have A Cub Cadet 1554. We ran over a stick and had to take things apart to get it out. Before we took it apart the engine tried to start but didn't. It started to crank and then didn't. In the mean time we have replace the belts and filters, etc. The battery is new and charged. When we turn the key, we get a click and a very faint hum. No cranking. PTO is not engaged and foot is on the brake. Help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Do you know if the faint hum sound is coming from your starter or solenoid?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Remove your spark plugs, then try cranking your engine again. Let's see if your engine will spin without your spark plugs inserted. We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I lost contact with this site right after I hit the send button. After an hour with customer service and two agents I am finally back on at almost five o'clock in the afternoon. BTW the starter and solenoid are so close that I will have to wait for my husband comes home so we can try to start and listen at the same time.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Very good! Thank you for letting me know. I will wait to hear your results. We will figure it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still need help with the Cub Cadet, however, I got sidetracked. Our Valtra tractor became more important and now I think we fried the wiring harness on that.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to here about the wiring on your other tractor. Are you still only getting only a faint hum sound, when you try starting your Cub Cadet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When we turn the key, both the solenoid and the starter buzz. But nothing else happens.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response. Have you checked to see if your engine will turn, if you use your hand to turn your flywheel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I do that? Do I take the cover off the top of the engine?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Can you get the make and model numbers for your engine for me?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I can check to see if you will need to remove your engine cover.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cub Cadet SLT 1554

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The numbers you posted above, are for your mower. I believe I have found the numbers for your engine. You have a Kohler CV Series engine. You should be able to turn your engine without removing your engine cover. There is a metal screen over your flywheel. Try turning your flywheel, by placing your hand on the screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the engine is a CV740-0026. It turns with difficulty, but I don't know how hard it is supposed to be.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. Can you remove your spark plugs, to see if your engine will turn easier?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did and it didn't turn any easier.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

With your spark plugs removed, will your engine attempt to spin, if you turn your key to start position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Okay ...

Can you remove the cover from your engine, and observe your starter as you turn your key to start position? Let's see if the gear on your starter, engages with the gear on your flywheel, when you attempt to start your engine.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a meter to use for checking voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a meter but I am not sure how to use it.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Do you know how to use it to check your battery voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I turn the key, It says 12 volts. When we started this process we had just purchased the battery and also check to see if it was fully charged.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Does your voltage drop, or remain the same, as you attempt to start your engine. These are only troubleshooting questions.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you battery voltage is okay, it will be great if you can remove your starter, and get someone to test it for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Double check all of your connections. check for loose or dirty connections on your battery, and your starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to go check.