JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a vanguard 23 horse motor ,brand new maybe 75 hrs I

Customer Question

I have a vanguard 23 horse motor ,brand new maybe 75 hrs I have it on a 1 ton roller and after 30 min running it start choking out and blowing black smoke .any thoughts
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It could be that you are recirculating the exhaust through the intake which would stop the air filter up rather quickly and cause the problem. Being on a roller I could see dust issues as well unless you water a lot before rolling, the dust would also stop up the air filter rather quickly and do the same thing. Did the machine come standard with this engine mounted in it? Can you possibly use a remote mounted air filter that could be mounted in a different area and hoses run down to the engine.