JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Have a 2 year old Toro PH-XT675-2034 mower that has good

Customer Question

Have a 2 year old Toro PH-XT675-2034 mower that has good spark and clean carb that won't start even after straying starting fluid in carb. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When checking for spark did you use a spark tester?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The XT series engine has had some ignition coil problems. The coils get weak and won't fire the plug under compression. I have had to replace a large number of these coils due to this reason. If you don't have a spark tester I would recommend getting one in order to test the spark under compression on this engine.

You may also try to replace the spark plug if you haven't already. Even though it may look good sometimes looks can be deceiving.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know a friend with a spark tester. Tomorrow I will check it. Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find. You can come back here and continue our conversation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found my spark tester I forgot I had. Hooked-up and good spark. What about this: carb may still be gummed-up in small holes but, why would starting fluid not crank for a second?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need a response. Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That's the reason I was thinking spark issue. If you spray starting fluid into carburetor it should start and at least burn that out. If you haven't already done so I would replace the spark plug.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I had not read close enough your initial post. It says there that you have already replace the spark plug.

Have you by chance hit anything with the blade?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put new spark plug in still will not crank. Did a compression test no compression. Stuck rings? Also looked in spark plug hole could not see hole in piston.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It could be stuck rings if you have no compression. How many hours of run time would you guess this engine has on it? Is the piston moving in the cylinder? You had indicated that the valves were working properly, about the only other thing would be a blown head gasket.