JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I'm testing a ferris 1000z. Kawasaki 21/48. Fully charged

Customer Question

I'm testing a ferris 1000z. Kawasaki 21/48. Fully charged battery keeps draining down to 30% after 45 minutes of use.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Yes there is a charging system on the engine that should keep your battery charged when running. Do you have a volt meter? We can run through a couple of test to help identify what the problem is.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you locate the voltage regulator on the side of the engine? It should have three wires going to it, two will be in a connector together the other one is by itself.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

We will start by making sure that the wires are connected onto the voltage regulator properly.

If you look at the voltage regulator two of the connectors are tied together, the two wires in the connector together will go on these two terminals.

The regulator has one single terminal which the other single wire should be attached to.

If the wiring is not hooked up this way the charging system will not work properly.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If the wires are connected properly then we will continue to test voltage.

With the engine running at full throttle, set you volt meter to VAC and touch one test lead to each of the two terminals with the two wire connector attached to them, you should see at least 28 volts AC on these two wires. If not your alternator is bad and will need to be replaced before you can go any further.

With the engine running at full throttle, set your volt meter to VDC and touch the black test lead to the single terminal and the red test lead to the positive post of the battery, you should see something between 14 - 15 volts DC. If not you voltage regulator is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wont have volt meter til tommorow. The wires did looked crossed. The connector plug looks as if it was attached to one of the duals and one of the single poles. While the song green wire was connected to the other attached one.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This was most likely the problem. I see it often when people unhook the wires they don't realize that there is a difference. If you hook it up the right way your problem will most likely go away. However it could have damaged the alternator and/or the regulator by being hooked up wrong. It will still be a good idea to at least check the two just to make sure that everything is okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'm going charge battery overnight and check tommorow
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need additional assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put new charging coil on. Works like brand new
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Great!!!! Hopefully you won't have problems again for a while.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.