Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Poulan Pro garden tractor that I purchased new in

Customer Question

I have a Poulan Pro garden tractor that I purchased new in 2000. I am having trouble with the parking brake, it does not hold the tractor. I am getting ready to do a lot of work to it and am wondering what parts I should look at/ order to remedy this problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ho my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer.

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Some of them can be adjusted

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I'm checking to see if yours has a jam nut that you can adjust to increase the grip of the brakes

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

First check to make sure parts 34 and 35 are working off this diagram

http://www.partstree.com/parts/electrolux/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/prgt22h50b-poulan-pro-lawn-tractor-2001/ground-drive/

Will the ebrake lock and just not hold or will it not lock at all ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to download your manual

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/133309/Poulan-Pro-Prgt22h50b.html

If that rod isn't locking check the parts listed part 34 and 35 on the ground drive diagram . There's also a copy in the back of the manual

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything works as far as the rod (34&35) to set the parking brake. There is resistance and feels like it always has, just not locking. If I stop on an incline, the tractor will roll. I have not looked under the tractor, if there is an adjustment, that would be great.

I can set the parking brake, it just don't hold the brakes applied.

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to go through the manual , does the regular brake pedal stop the tractor ? , going from your parts diagrams it doesn't have pads , so I'm going to see if there a way for the brake to be adjusted , the rod just locks it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, the brakes stop the tractor. They could use a little adjustment though. If they are depressed all the way, the tractor stops immediately. I wish the pedal were higher to do it. Maybe the adjustment is on that side of things?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Yes I think we need to find how to adjust the brakes and that could fix parking brake issue

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

The brake rod doesn't seem to adjust and looks to hook right up to the rear end

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see any adjustment yet, either. What does that mean? I really need it to work without a lot of money spent. I use this tractor to move vehicles on a small incline. How does it operate? I am assuming that it is just a valve, maybe?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

My concern is it ties in with the rear. I'm going to look further into it for you . Some of the craftsman tractors have brake pads , this one doesn't . Being the brakes work good it sounds like the e brake isn't putting enough pressure on the brake