Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a deere hydro 175 lawn mower. The battery is good.

Customer Question

i have a john deere hydro 175 lawn mower. The battery is good. Good connections. It wont start. When i turn the key, it makes a very faint clicking noise, like a starter solenoid. Except the noise is on the other side of the engine from the starter. I cant exactley tell where it is coming from. Sometimes you can feel the clicking vibration on a part. There is a sensor, under the carburator, it seems to be coming from there, just by the noise. Please advise. Thank you, *****
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is battery voltage? 13 + would be fully charged, less that 12.5 volts will not start mower.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

There is a circuit breaker in the system, it may not be letting full voltage thru it. The fuel solenoid clicking shows there is some voltage to the keyswitch. There is also a 10 amp fuse, be sure it is good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought a new battery. It is measuring 12.25 on the volt meter. The mortor doesnt turn over, Either with the old battery or new. The fuse is good. On my stx38 (that has the same problem. I will ask about it later) i can turn the key to on and jump from its own battery, direct to the starter and it starts. On this lawn mower (hydro 175) nothing happens, but when I went to make sure the connection to the starter was tight, i shorted out the wrench and it sparked.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Solenoid on the starter? Remove spark plug and see if you can turn the engine by hand,

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Engine may be liquid locked!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If engine turns, remove the starter and bench test it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the engines turns, it should jump start direct from the batery. Shouldnt it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if starter is good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didnt know one volt, or half a volt would matter so much. I charged the new battery and it turns over. I can get it started from there. Another question. I have a john deere, stx 38. It does the same thing as the hydro, but the clicking comes from under the seat. I can jump start it direct from the battery to the sarter with the key on. Please let me know. Thanks Fred
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Your starter solenoid is the noise under the seat. Solenoid may not be closing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the solenoid and or connection to the solenoid. Starts like a champ. I have another one for you. I have a john deere 2155 farm tractor. Im replacing the muffler. Naturally the bolts are rusted and stuck in. Im using blaster and aero kroil sprays to loosen them. Kind of tuff to get a stud remover in there. Any ideas
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Heat from a torch, to get nuts red hot, then remove! Without a torch, a person can split nut with grinder or cutoff tool.And what works with one may not work on the next one!