JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 123cc MtD log splitter model #24aa5dmk00. It starts

Customer Question

I have a 123cc MtD log splitter model #24aa5dmk00 . It starts with starting fluid but stalls
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is John I will be assisting you.

It sounds like the carburetor jets and main fuel nozzle are stopped up which is not allowing fuel to be pulled through the carburetor in order to keep it running on its own.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it a part several times ran carb cleaner through all orifices and bluw it out. All bluw air through ventury gas came out of hole
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

What about mounting gaskets between the carburetor and the engine block? Have you checked to make sure that it's not sucking air around on of them.

Blowing air with an air hose through the venturi is not the best way to check that, you can blow more air through than what the engine will suck through on its own so it can be misleading. Did you remove the main fuel jet from the center of the carburetor stem and clean all the holes in it and the nozzle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put new gasket in and I remove main jet and cleaned it .
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You still have a blockage there otherwise the engine would run on its own.

When you had the main jet out did you remove the long fuel nozzle from the stem and clean the holes in it as well?

I would recommend installing a carburetor repair kit the only thing is the carburetor kit is 31.04 and you can replace the entire carburetor for 43.97.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately able to purchase carb kit new carb here is $90 unless you know of a Web site I can order one
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

MTD part number 951-10627 for the repair kit and 951-14238 for the complete carburetor.

You can purchase either on online, I have included a link here to the page that I am looking at. Reference number 23 is the complete carburetor in order to get the repair kit you have to scroll to the bottom of the parts list below the diagram.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/MTD/59856/24649

I hope this helps you.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you John
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. I hope that this helps to get your problem solved.