JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Sears lawn tractor 917.271653 When I turned the key

Customer Question

I have a Sears lawn tractor###-##-#### ***** I turned the key something gave a little pop and nothing. I have checked the starting circuit to the solenoid. When I turn the key to start I have power at the white wire at the solenoid. I've taken the solenoid out and checked it by putting power across the lower terminals and I have a click and continuity across the starting terminals. The cable to the starter has continuity as does the ground cable. Jumped the starter direct from the battery and it turns over. Fuse, obviously, is good. As well as the ammeter. When I turn the key to start nothing clicks and the ammeter doesn't move. What's the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This sounds like you have a safety switch that is not activating. The switches that could cause this are the clutch and the deck engage safety switches. I would go back and check both of those switches to be sure that they are working properly.