Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

Generator will not transion to run. fuel solenoid shuts off

Customer Question

generator will not transion to run. fuel solenoid shuts off no power to it.generator does start and run as long as the start button is pushed.the gen set is microlite 4000
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

I would start by checking oil sender/oil level. Usually the reason it shuts off is due to safety, when holding start it bypasses and when you release they kick in if there is a problem and shut it down.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would 15w40 weight oil cause this to happen? I hear aclick then it shuts off. It called for straight 30 weight... I changed to30 weightoil and it had no effect.

Any other ideas?

I have cleaned the fuel shut off solenide and the carborator. Power shuts off when I release the start button and I hear an arching noise. I jumpered from the battery to the solenoid and it still died when I released the start button.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

No, 15w40 should not have had any ill effect on it.

Thanks,

Joe