Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

How do I bleed the air out of the propane gas line on the

Customer Question

How do I bleed the air out of the propane gas line on the generator? Is there a special place? I have a 4.0 KW Onan Generator 2005. Thanks for your help.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rico_Soma replied 1 year ago.

There should be a shut off on the gas line at the generator. You turn that off then break/disconnect a connection/fitting on the generator side of the shut off. If this is piped with black or galvanized pipe it will be a union. If it's copper just back off one of the flared nuts. Once you have the line open you turn on the shut off until you smell propane then turn it off immediately. Then reconnect the line and soap up the connection you just made back up to check for leaks. Needless to say no open flames in the area. Then wait at least 15 minutes for the propane that escaped to dissipate. Note that propane is heavier than air so it can pool in a low spot. Once the propane has dissipated start up your generator. It make take a few tries for the gas to make it to the engine in sufficient concentration for the unit to fire up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help but there is a bleed port on the generator somewhere. There are no pipes or shutoff showing.
Expert:  Rico_Soma replied 1 year ago.

Not that I'm aware of. I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post) until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

What is the exact complete model number of this unit?

Thanks,

Joe