Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

Need help with onan generator

Customer Question

Need help with onan generator
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2003 Onan (Gas) Generator model: 8MGKBD 3509B.Symptoms are: Will run for approx 20-30 seconds and turn itself off. I've replaced fuel pump, carb, spark plugs and controller and it still is doing the same thing. I've also verified that it has spark and also fuel. I've also verified that the sensors are functioning as they should. I've also ensured that generator has plenty of oil (is in between the hatches on the dipstick)I'm not seeing any a/c voltage output on the E-Display (remote display for genny). When I monitor the a/c output on the gauges, I see approx 20amp and then it shuts off 20-30 seconds so not a lot of time to monitor.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

I am just seeing if youstill need assistance with this problem? The reason I ask is because I see thatyour question has not been answered sooner and I wanted to make sure if youstill needed help.

In some cases a questionmay sit due to several different things including the amount of thedeposit/question value, time it was asked, the complexity of the question,number of experts that can help you at a certain time, lack of detailed infoand so on. My objective that I wish is to make sure that if you still need helpthat I can at the very least reach out to you and attempt to help you. I maynot have exactly the experience to deal with a certain problem but instead ofyou not receiving any answer at all I would at least like to reach out andattempt to help you.

At this time please feelfree when you are ready to reply back to me and ask to continue working withme, another expert or if you no longer need help please just let me knowexactly what you wish to do.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joe,
I still require help and have not received any correspondence except for what you just sent me..... so I'm still waiting. Thanks!
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

You will need to measure power at the breaker, it is most likely combined with your checks that this is a problem with undervoltage shutdown.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see approx 20amp.... at breaker. So what do I try next?
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

What voltage are you getting at the breaker?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 to 30 vac max 60hz
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

That is then an undervoltage problem. I have to step out of my office for a few so for now

I feel it best that for now I step out of this question. Another expert should hopefully be with you shortly.

Best of luck with the problem and have a good afternoon.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when can I expect someone else to help me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still waiting on someone to help me. If that's not possible, I'd like to get a REFUND ASAP!!!! Thank you.