Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 1989 Club Car DS (Gas) golf cart. The motor runs a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1989 Club Car DS (Gas) golf cart. The motor runs for only a minute or two and then overheats and fails to run. It gets so hot, it slows down until the it stalls due to the motor becoming temporarily seized. I removed the Tin covering that fits on the head an jug, cleaned the cooling fins, removed the muffler. Something is going on inside the motor that is causing this, but I don't know what. Any information would be great. Thanks!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If engine is seizing up, you have internal damage, either in the crankshaft bearings or the piston is seizing. Do you see any metal flake in the oil?

?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took the head and jug off and found the problem. The connecting rod bushings are shot as the connecting rod is binding up on the crankshaft. It doesn't rotate freely like it should. Pretty tight. In your experience, do you think this could have damaged the crank shaft?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI...There was no metal flakes in the oil.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No, shouldn't have damaged crankshaft, but you won't know for sure until you get the rod off the cank.