Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I haven't started my generator in over 7 years. What do I

Customer Question

I haven't started my generator in over 7 years. What do I have to do before trying to start it so I don't damage any parts of the engine?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Start by lubing any areas that need lubed, if it is carbureted then you may need to rebuild the carb, gaskets may be dry and may fail no matter what you do so please remember that, Get a can of fogging oil, remove the spark plugs if a gas engine and squirt fogging oil in, replace spark plugs with new plug but before putting them in you will then after the fogging oil is in turn the engine over about 5-10 times by hand to lube the cylinders. Add fresh fuel and then you can start the generator.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.