JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Craftsman DLS3200 Lawn Tractor that has some type

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman DLS3200 Lawn Tractor that has some type of battery/electrical/charging problem. We purchased the tractor used, and were told the battery was weak and that we would have to keep a trickle charger on it. Well, that is true, but it is not
a battery issue. We purchased a new battery, however the tractor doesn't charge the battery. If we jump start it, we can mow the lawn fine, however if it dies, runs out of gas, or otherwise stops, the lawn mower refuses to start again unless it is once again
jumped, and this with the brand new battery. I have a multi-meter, but am not particularly well versed in small engine repair. Any thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Does the engine try to turn over when you hit the ignition key? Can you provide the model and type or spec from the engine so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John, I didn't realize the DLS 3200 would not be enough. I've attached pictures of the only other possible identifying information I found. Oh...noticed it was a DLS 3500, sorry, maybe that was the confusion. Anyway, I've attached the pictures from inside the engine bay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For what it is worth, I mowed the lawn again today. When I walked out to the garage, the mower was completely dead...turning the key yielded no sound, no attempt to turn over, nothing. I hooked the battery up to my car with jumper cables, and after a while I was able to crank the mower. It turned over (somewhat difficultly, but nothing too bad), and caught. I was able to mow the lawn (approximately 30 minutes), and as I was bringing it back in, it stalled. I tried turning it over again, but it just made a tick-tick-tick-tick and would not turn over. I had to push it back to the garage, lol!Thanks again.- Paul
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

We can start by checking the alternator. The red wire coming from under the flywheel is the VDC charging line that provides voltage back to the battery in order to keep it charged. If you have a volt meter you can touch the black test lead to the red wire in that connector and the red test lead to the positive post of the battery, with the engine running full throttle you should see 14 - 15 volts DC there. If you aren't getting that then the alternator or magnets inside the flywheel are bad and will need to be replaced. If you are getting that reading then the battery is bad and not holding a charge.