Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Gravely ProMaster 260z zero turn mower Model Number

Customer Question

I have a Gravely ProMaster 260z zero turn mower Model Number 992020. I have a bad electrical component I think.
Engine sometimes cranks. Until yesterday it would then run fine. Several months ago my wife rode down to the barn, shut down, and then engine would not crank. It cooled a bit and then I tried cycling everything and it cranked fine. Since then, several other times it would not crank. At least once, cycling the PTO switch with power on and engine off, then cranking with PTO switch off, worked.
In trying to get it to crank, sometimes the oil pressure light would shine brightly when key was on and then go dim, which is odd.
Yesterday it would not crank in the shed so I got under it and found one of the bolts holding the clutch/ engine to be missing. I replaced the nut and bolt and in doing so found there are two recesses on the clutch body where a post that is attached to the underside of the bolt member can fit. It did not appear to matter which one, so I chose one.
After doing this, the engine cranked and started, but mowed only about 30 minutes before the engine stopped, as if it were running out of fuel, which it was not. Then, again it would not crank.
I went to the solenoid, pulled off a grey wire and when I held the key switch to the crank position, got 12.7V. So I wonder if it is just the solenoid. This does not explain why it stopped running yesterday. It might explain all the other times it did not crank. But the dimming of the oil light?
What do you think?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Could be bad solenoid, but do the same voltage test with the grey wire connected, looking to see if voltage drops!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If voltage drops below 8 volts, check battery and cables.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When key to start position, there is no voltage drop at the battery with grey wire connected. I guess cause engine is not cranking. Oil light is bright.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Solenoid should engage, Replace the solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cheeze. Now with start sw on, no volts to grey wire, no oil press lite. Bat volts 12.64 and grey wire attached to solenoid.

What worries me now is that no pwr to grey wire with start engaged. You are right about if there is grey pwr, starter should engage.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check power to the keyswitch from the fuse. Fuse or fuse holder may not be making good connection.