JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My new Simplicity 2014 26/52 Conquest will not start. I just

Customer Question

My new Simplicity 2014 26/52 Conquest will not start. I just bought it last week, and it started fine when I got it home, but today, it just turns over. The gas tank is full. It has a automatic choke. I tried opening the throttle all the way, but no response. Am I doing something wrong?
Jim
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jim, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide the model and type or spec number from the engine so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model #(###) ###-####Serial #(###) ###-####Engine family cbxsx.7242va, serial 120207yg76510. Can't find a model number on engine, but prrhaps a 4400?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine manual says model 400000, model 440000, model 490000, not sure which I have
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

According to the engine parts manual this engine has a separate choke control on it. Are you pulling the choke control out on the dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no choke control. I am pretty sure it has an automatic choke.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The choke may be built into the throttle control. When you operate the throttle control does it seem to go all the way up or do you feel a catch or stop before it gets all the way up? Is it stopping about 1/2" prior to the top of the control?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't feel anything, seems to go up and down easily
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

In looking at the engine parts manual they don't build this engine with an automatic choke. There are two options for the choke on this engine, one is a separate choke control cable the other would be built into the throttle lever with a detent or catch at full throttle then anything beyond that point would be choke.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are saying that if I put it all the way up it will choke?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but you have to go all the way up. As you move the throttle from idle to full throttle you will hit a detent that will be full throttle, you will need to go just beyond that in order to choke the engine.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried that, no go.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The only other thing that I can think of on that engine would be the fuel solenoid on the carburetor. There is a fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor bowl that requires voltage to it in order for it to open up and allow the carburetor to actually get fuel through the main fuel jet or nozzle. If the wire was not connected good from the factory then it may have come loose and is not opening the fuel solenoid which would keep the engine from starting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems tight. Now it will not turn over. It did not seem like the battery was getting weak at all but I suppose that is what happened. I will have to call the dealer Monday. Thanks for trying
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If there is no choke feature on the dash and it doesn't seem to be built into the throttle per your information. I would venture to say that it is either out of adjustment or the fuel solenoid has lost power. Since it is a new machine if it needs adjustments or the fuel solenoid is not working then they(Simplicity or the dealer) will take care of that at no cost to you.

I am sorry that I could not be of more assistance. Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.