Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

Toro Workman model e2050 utility vehicle stops abruptly and

Customer Question

Toro Workman model e2050 utility vehicle stops abruptly and runs away going down hills. Any idea what is failing? Occasionally throws a 4 blink error code when coasting down hills.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Normal
0
false
false
false
EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

I am just seeing if you still need assistance with this problem? The reason I ask is because I see that your question has not been answered sooner and I wanted to make sure if you still needed help.

In some cases a question may sit due to several different things including the amount of the deposit/question value, time it was asked, the complexity of the question, number of experts that can help you at a certain time, lack of detailed info and so on. My objective that I wish is to make sure that if you still need help that I can at the very least reach out to you and attempt to help you. I may not have exactly the experience to deal with a certain problem but instead of you not receiving any answer at all I would at least like to reach out and attempt to help you.

At this time please feel free when you are ready to reply back to me and ask to continue working with me, another expert or if you no longer need help please just let me know exactly what you wish to do.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need an answer to my question. It is not normal. It just started doing this abrupt stopping and running away on down hill just recently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you don't have experience with this type of equipment I understand - just refund my money. Thanks.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

Does this happen even if apply the brakes?

When it free coasts like that does it also not allow you to accelerate, what I mean is like it is not in gear?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a battery powered unit - much like a golf cart. The 48 volt traction motor retards the unit from running away when it is working properly based on throttle position but that is no longer happening. It now just freewheels down a hill and you must brake to keep it from getting too fast and out of control.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

So then my understanding is if you use the brakes it will slow down, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If when it is freewheeling down a hill you release the accelerator completely the traction motor stops the unit very abruptly even sliding the rear tires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can continue to accelerate if you haven't already exceeded the maximum speed.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

I have to run out of the office for a few, in the mean time I am going to step out of the question which will allow other experts to view it and reply to you. When I return I will check if anyone else has replied to you and followup with you at that time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Joe

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm not too familiar with your machine but have found you Service manual if needed Page 45 shows the code list and what it means with info on how to try to correct it. I'll send you a link so you can download and look it over. Maybe it will be of some help. http://1drv.ms/1JqyFv7

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have the service manual and have followed all of the suggested remedies for this problem. It apparently is a failure not covered in the service manual troubleshooting. I have even spoken with the service manager at the authorized toro service facility and he has never heard of this problem either. So I'm just fishing here - trying to see if anyone else out there has an answer for it.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck with your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get my money back?