JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I purchased a Troy Built Horse XP model with a 22hp Kohler

Customer Question

I purchased a Troy Built Horse XP model with a 22hp Kohler Courage engine approx. 2 yrs. ago. I changed the oil, and replaced the fuel filter as directed. I even bled the fuel filter. The problem I'm having is, when mowing on a right leaning grade, and climbing an incline, the engine starts to sputter, and sometimes shuts off. It doesn't do it on a left leaning grade, just a right grade. Is it a carb float problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like you have something in the carburetor bowl that is getting over the main jet and blocking it so that the engine no longer is getting enough fuel to keep it running properly. It can be moving around in there so that it only interferes in certain positions. It is not likely to be the float itself.