JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Toro Z-Master 74244 cut off when I disengage brake.

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you tried running the machine without the seat switch jumper? Some of the switches are normally open and some are normally closed so if you jumper the seat safety wiring it actually sends signal to the rest of the system just like if you were out of the seat. It sounds like a seat safety switch problem for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me start from the begining. I started the mower up and disengaged the break. Motor shuts down. so I'am thinking break switch is gone bad. Jump break switch and restart mower. get to yard and engage PTO motor shuts down . OK its the seat switch jump that same result. I had a spare relay so on a chance i replaced that Same result.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Did you try to run it without the jumper in the seat switch wiring? With the wire unplugged from the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same result mower runs till PTO is engaged
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Does the engine die as soon as you try to engage the PTO? Do you have the brake switch hooked back up now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as soon as I engage. No break switch is still jumped
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i hook break switch up i can't disengage break or motor shuts down
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Has any of the switches been replaced that you are aware of?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I purchased mower new. I have replaced the starter and the battery and thats it
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

How many wires go into you seat safety switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 wires It is a plunger style not on seat
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Your seat safety switch is a normally closed switch, when you sit in the seat it opens the circuit to tell the rest of the system that you are in the seat. This being the case we can't put a jumper in the wiring, it will act just like if you were not in the seat.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it is not jumped, and we have tried it plugged up and un plugged. Same results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i understand what you are saying about seat. what is causing PTO to shut motor off when engaged
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If the system doesn't recognize that you are in the seat then one of two things will happen. When you release the brake lever the engine will die and or when you engage the PTO the engine will die. They(OSHA) don't want this machine to be able to move or the blades run with no one in the seat, it is all to do with safety.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Try this with everything hooked up. Can you engage the PTO and the machine continue to run with the brake lever still locked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with everything hooked up and brake engaged the PTO still shuts motor down
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Let's unhook the seat switch and see what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have already asked me to do that 12:53 post it gave me the same result
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you are not going to be able to help me
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It has to be a problem with the seat safety switch that is killing the engine. I am going to opt out of your question, maybe one of the other experts here will have some other suggestions for you.