JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

The pto on my cub cadet rat 42 won't engage. have replaced

Customer Question

the pto on my cub cadet rat 42 won't engage. have replaced the pto switch.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Does the machine start okay? Do you have to jump start the machine in order to get it started?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Machine starts OK .
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you look at your electric clutch, does it have a triangle shape with three nuts one at each point? Or is it round?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
round
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me if you are getting voltage to the electric clutch? Go down to where the electric clutch plugs into the connector on the wiring harness and check for VDC coming to that location. You want at least 12 VDC at that connector when the PTO switch is turned on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked voltage to clutch. 12 volts coming in.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you have voltage coming to the clutch and it won't come on and operate then the clutch is bad. Most likely it has wear on it which is keeping it from engaging, unfortunately for this type of clutch there is no adjusting it. If it were the triangle style clutch then you could adjust it and make it work again most of the time. Make sure that the wiring going to the clutch has not broken or come loose where it actually goes into the clutch itself.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

One other thing that you could try is to unplug the connector and put voltage directly to the clutch to see if it will click in or engage. This would help to identify if you have a grounding issue back through the wiring. You should be able to unplug the connector, run a hot wire from the positive of the battery to one side of the connector and run a wire from the other side to a good ground.