Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a toro 5510 mower.It keeps blowing fuses when I start

Customer Question

I have a toro 5510 mower.It keeps blowing fuses when I start to turn on the key.After it blows the fuse it starts and runs fine except the reels will not drop or operate.The ecm has burnt so I can not put a new fuse in it because it just blows when I turn
the key.I know it must be a short but where I do not know.I replaced the ecm last year and it was ok uhtil a few days ago.If I unplug the input side of the ecm it doesnot blow the fuse Of I have the input side plugged in and the output side disconnected it
still blows fuses. I took the ecm out of this machine and plugged it in to another machine.I instantly started smoking when I turnedthe key on,so I am sure the electronic control module module is burnt.How do I find out what is burning the module and blowing
the fuse. It is the ecmoutput 3 fuse that blows
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

The ecm as you know needs to be replaced, now what you also need to know is that it if it is internally shorted or other can actually pop a fuse as well, start by tracing the wiring and visually inspecting as well as using a multimeter to check the wiring and then install a new ecm when no damaged wiring has been found or no shorts.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.