JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I just tried to fire up my pmo435000 robins on a powermate

Customer Question

I just tried to fire up my pmo435000 robins on a powermate generator. no dice. no spark at the plug. Checked oil and it was on the low side. filled oil through the oil check not the oil fill. my bad. Also the on off switch was left on. It had been sitting for about 8 months, with out gas in the tank. Had ran it dry. I got a major storm coming my way in florida. Its 9 years old.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

After doing the checks that you have done so far are you getting spark to the plug now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no spark at the plug. Checked oil and it was on the low side. filled oil through the oil check not the oil fill. my bad. Also the on off switch was left on. It had been sitting for about 8 months, with out gas in ... view full
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

On/off switch being left on won't cause any problem. Have you tried unplugging the low oil sensor wire and see if you get spark then? You can also unplug the small ground wire going to the ignition coil and try it to see if you get spark then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I did try that but the wires seems to be encased. Did not want to create more damage. I did talk to my small engine mechanic and he suggested that also. Just dont seelhow to do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I disconnect the wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is that wire. ??
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect the wire from the ignition coil would eliminate everything backwards in the system but in order to get to it you would have to remove the pull start assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you get spark with the wire unplugged then you know that the ignition coil is good but you have a problem backwards in the wiring. If you still have no spark then the ignition coil is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only wire I saw was a black wire conected to a disc object, I disconnected that and still no spark. is that the right wire. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would like to try to unplug that oil sensor wire but not sure where that wire is. ??
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes that would be the correct wire. If you still have no spark then the ignition coil is bad and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When you unplug the wire at the ignition coil you just eliminated the oil sensor so that it is no longer in the picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your saying I have a bad ignition coil . I remove the pull cover. there was a black wire going down to a disc shape object that is the wire I removed. Was that the right wire. It was the only wire I could see??
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is the correct wire. The disc shaped object is mounted next to the flywheel, right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was called away unexpectedly. Yes that was next to the flywheel. Funny how it just quite working. Last time I used it everything was fine. I will attempt to replace that. thank you for your help.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.